Dmitri's HTPC Project

Dmitri Lenna's log of his attempt to build a Home Theater PC or Media PC as it's sometimes called. He plans to describe all the steps he takes, both sucessful and not so successful, so that ohers may learn from his experiences.

Cases

Saturday, May 07, 2005

I just added the Silverstone LC14M case to the case comparison table. So far it's the front runner. Not being able to view these cases in person is really getting to be a pain. This case in particular because it has a plastic section in the middle of it that could end up looking decent or looking horrible. Silverstone's website doesn't help matters by have their pictures primarily of the black unit which really don't help you get an idea of how the thing may look in a natural setting. It does have a few pluses. The VFD/IR unit is USB, so none of that rear parallel port cable coming back into the case silliness. It includes a remote, which is nice. I mean it's not the Remote of the Gods, but it'll probably be adequate. Also of note is that I'm actually "flip-flopping", or as I like to call it: "rethinking my position based on new and relevant information", on an issue. This case has two expose drive doors. Previous to now, I'd always thought that was silly. What do I really need 2 drives for? I figured one DVD Burner was all the drive I would need. But something occurred to me yesterday. DVD is the format of right now, but on the not so distant horizon we have Blu ray, HD-DVD, and/or possibly a unified format. In any case, I'll need another drive to play that, thus a second drive no longer seems so useless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home